Saturday, December 7, 2013

Weekly Letter 12/6/13

Oi Famila/Amigo's!

This week went by  pretty fast. The days are long, but the weeks are fast. Learning Portuguese is pretty tough. I'm definitely making progress in it though. I'm to the point where when our teacher is speaking fast, i can usually pick out 1 or 2 key words to let me know at least what the sentence is about. Not super impressive, but progress is success. So thats fun.

It snowed a lot! I'm not sure how much but its making me regret not bringing enough warm clothing. I'm going to Brazil though. C'mon.

This week we are teaching a lesson to 2 different investigators; 1 each day. So Elder Schuman and I are constantly planning and learning as fast as we can. Yesterday we taught the plan of salvation to an investigator. I was pretty nervous to teach it, because even when taught in english, it can be kind of a difficult subject to grasp. So when having to teach it in Portuguese, I was just nervous. My companion, Elder Schuman, made notecards with pictures of each step of the plan of salvation. I thought that was a good idea, but I still wasn't super confident with it. I think i was worried I wouldnt feel the spirit, because of how hard I had to focus on other things. See, I have a slightly better grasp on Portuguese than elder schuman, so usually our lessons consist of me helping him translate his sentences into portuguese, comprehending/answering questions the investigator has, and trying to remember what to say or where to go with the lesson. But our lesson had a good mixture of laughing & getting to know the investigator, and also feeling the spirit. When the spirit was helping us, it made itself known just enough. I wouldnt have been able to do it without the spirit.

An Elder in my district got his visa on wednesday, and another Sister from my home ward, Sister Roberts, also recieved her visa. I really want to be in Brazil, but I trust things will work out. I still have a lot of learning to do, portuguese wise! Not sure how Elder Brogan survived the Brazillian CTM!

I want to let you all know I miss you all very much, but I think I thought about home and the things that are happening back there only once or twice this week, which is incredible. I'm trying to hard to stay focused on the work, because the second I get distracted it will be hard to grow and progress. I need to go, but i love you all! Thank you for all the letters and support!
Com amor,
Elder Stallings

--Dad,
Thank YOU for the letters you have sent me. They help so much. I'm one of the lucky elders in my district that gets letters almost every/every other day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment