Saturday, July 5, 2014

4 de Julho provavelmente vai ser normal (Letter from July 4th)

Oi Família!

We´re having P-day early again this week due to the World Cup! Brazil is gonna play today, so we have to stay in our houses all day after this. I think they´re gonna play Colombia today. 

I just want to note that the internet cafe or LAN House that we´re using right now is a bit strange. The guy who owns it is watching videos on his computer, but his computer is hooked up to the huge speakers in this place, so we´re hearing everything he´s watching. We listened to a guy screaming at the top of his lungs for a solid 4 minutes. Oh he´s listening to a vaccume cleaner sound right now. Not sure whats going on. I´ll keep you guys updated. Bem gostoso. 



So this week we´re really trying to bring our numbers up. A lot of the same things that we´ve been doing in the past: finding people to teach. The problem here (generally) isnt entering into houses and teaching people. The problem is getting them to say yes to us visiting them again, and even when they say yes, they´ll flake out. A LOT. I´ve really had to stay on my toes keep myself motivated this week. 

But something awesome happened! Our investigators, who are the kids of a less active (super less active), have a baptismal date! The problem with them was because the Mom is less active, she didnt want her kids to be baptized until she was active in the church. But she really wasnt doing anything to get back to church, so we were stuck in this pattern of her not going to church, and the kids who´re 13 and 11, wanting to be baptized but not having the chance because of the mom. As we were studying for them, I had the idea to share the story of the 2000 stripling warriors. I remembered one part in particular in this story that would be perfect for them. Alma 56:47 talks about how these youth ``did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.´´ Who taught them this wonderful truth? Their mothers.

 I then went to Mosiah 28, and talked about how the sons of Mosiah had the desire to serve God. Their father knew that this could be dangerous, being that they would go into the land of their enemies. But verse 5 says ``And it came to pass that they did plead with their father many days that they might go up to the land of Nephi.´´ They had the desire! They wanted this! So, what did their father do? Verse 6 says ``And king Mosiah went and inquired of the Lord if he should let his sons go up among the Lamanites to preach the word.´´ I like how even though Mosiah wasnt sure, he asked the Lord if they should go. And the Lord responded, and said ``Let them go up, for many shall believe on their words, and they shall have eternal life; and I will deliver thy sons out of the hands of the Lamanites.´´ They recieved the promise that the Lord would deliver them out of the hands of the lamanites. Returning to the story of the stripling warriors, we explained that even though many were wounded after the battle, none of them died. 

With the combination of these 2 stories, the spirit was able to help this mother understand her responsibility, as well as the responsibility of the Lord. We recieve the gift of the holy ghost, to guide and protect us in these days. She was able to finally mark a date for this month for the kids! I´ve never been so happy in my life! Once again, its interesting to see the Lord compensated for our work this week. We didnt really find too many people who were solid, but we recieved this instead. My testimony about this work has never been stronger.

 I´ve never been so tired in my life! Helping my district be obedient, reach our goals, and help my area is crazy. The weather is great right now. High 70´s today. And i think last week was offically the start of winter. I know it probably wont stay like this, but its nice to not get slapped in the face with winter like Minnesota. 



I love you all so much! Your letters and prayers mean everything to me. 
Love,
Elder Stallings

No comments:

Post a Comment